Sarah & Eric: Wedding at Burning Man

For one week year, Black Rock City, in Nevada grows from almost nothing to a city with over 50,000 people. “Leave only footprints, take only pictures,” or so it goes, is a fundamental principal of life on the playa. I met Sarah & Eric while photographing couples on the playa as part of a personal art project.
wpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_01-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_02-2010-09-18-18-544.jpgTodd played the sax as Sarah walked down the isle with her Mom. wpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_03-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_04-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_05-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_06-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_07-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_08-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_09-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_10-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_11-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_12-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_13-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_14-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgThey fed a grape to each other, then shared with their guests.wpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_15-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_16-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgEric handcrafted their wedding bands and I waited for the right moment to click the shutter. The lighting conditions of the ‘chapel’ made for difficult circumstances to nail my exposure. I instilled confidence in Nikon’s matrix metering and shot RAW. I was glad I did, as most exposures where right on. In these trying conditions, a professional must rely on their equipment. wpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_17-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_18-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_19-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_20-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgFamily formals can be a complete hoot with the right attitude. I love to shoot them. True story. More often that not, I take it to the next level and keep my eye focused on the moments in between the moments while tethered to my studio strobe. I call them my “lit candids.” Here, the flower girl showcased her plastic bouquet to a bridesmaid. Becky looks on, sharing in the ‘girl’ moment, creating one of my favorite images of the year.wpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_21-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_22-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_23-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgThe subtitles of expression, the dramatic sense of place, and perfect timing make this one of my favorite images of 2010:
wpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_24-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_25-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgI’ve been studying lately some of the old masters of photography. With their inspiration in mind while walking around the temple (which gets memorialized by people, then burned, these few images stood out. wpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_2-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_1-2010-09-18-18-543.jpgwpid-becky_todd_wedding_photos_at_burning_man_27-2010-09-18-18-543.jpg

30 Responses to “Sarah & Eric: Wedding at Burning Man”

1. Kellie Coughlin — September 19, 2010 @ 5:47 pm (#)

Wow RJ! I loved spending the last 30 minutes viewing all your vibrant burning man images-so great! Thank you for sharing.

2. Joe Photo — September 20, 2010 @ 7:55 pm (#)

Killer, killer, killer brother. These are smokin’ images. I wish I was there.

3. Sarah Weinberg — September 22, 2010 @ 6:06 pm (#)

Thank You so much RJ. It was such a fun wedding and your images have frozen not only a smile on my face, a warm and fuzzy feeling inside me but incredible memories of that fabulous day! YOU ROCK!

4. Eric Gindlesperger — September 22, 2010 @ 7:01 pm (#)

RJ, You rock! Thank you so very much for capturing these moments of Sarah and I. I knew they would be special and am blown away by your images. I am so stoked how well everything worked out.

5. linda weinberg — September 22, 2010 @ 7:16 pm (#)

Thank you so much for these beautiful pictures. You have captured the Burning Man magic of Sarah and Eric’s wedding and their love. As the mom of the bride, I can only say, “thank you.” Cheers and best wishes, Linda

6. Babu — September 22, 2010 @ 7:29 pm (#)

Hi Sarah and Eric.
    Congratulations on your wedding. Thanks for sharing the photos. Best wishes to both of you for a wonderful life together.
    Love Babu & Kevin

7. Shannon — September 22, 2010 @ 10:42 pm (#)

Phenomenal! You are a gifted photographer and while our gear is important, raw talent and the eye to the world in which we live are a gift. Sarah you are as young and beautiful as ever and I am honoured to take a glimpse into you incredible world. Thank you for sharing.

8. Leah Weinberg — September 22, 2010 @ 10:55 pm (#)

These are beautiful pictures and they really tell the story of that day, thanks from all of us who couldn’t be there. Sarah and Eric you rock!

9. dorothy and nino stroppa — September 23, 2010 @ 6:20 am (#)

I have thought about your wedding so often imagining what it must of been like. Now I know. Thank you very very much for sharing the wonderful pictures of the wonderful event. we wish you a lifetime of happiness> Love, Dorothy and Nino

10. dorothy and nino stroppa — September 23, 2010 @ 6:23 am (#)

The pictures are marvelous Sarah and Eric. We wish you a lifetime of happiness. I have often thought of your wedding on the desert. Now we can enjoy the day through the delightful pictures. Much love, Dorothy and Nino

11. Gomez — September 23, 2010 @ 8:51 am (#)

I wish you both much buena onda!!!! I love the pictures and the whole concept of getting hitched at Burning Man. Many smiles and fun adventures

12. Sally Felkai — September 23, 2010 @ 1:49 pm (#)

Wow, what beautiful images and what a beautiful couple. Sarah and Eric, Congratulations and lot’s of love from your NOBU pals.

13. Bonnie & Tony Whitham — September 23, 2010 @ 3:21 pm (#)

Your mother sent us the pictures and you look so happy as does your mother. We hope we get to meet you and your husband in person some day.

Bonnie Whitham

14. Sheryl Davis — September 23, 2010 @ 5:44 pm (#)

Wow what fun and AMAZING pictures you have of your wedding my wonderful brother and new sister-in-law!! Congrats again and thanks for sharing these with us! Love you! Sheryl and Tom

15. Nancy Liknes — September 24, 2010 @ 11:42 am (#)

Holy Macaroni are these ever great. I echo Leah’s comments – Thank you so much for taking these – I almost feel like I was there – they are super excellent double chocolate beautiful – just like the happy couple.

16. Pingback: couples in love on the playa | Kern-Photo

17. Pingback: there is only love | Kern-Photo

18. Brooke — February 16, 2011 @ 11:22 am (#)

Very, VERY cool – I love the photos! Especially the guest in the crowd with the colorful braids. 🙂

19. Pingback: if you can’t beat ‘em, make a statement | Kern-Photo

20. Pingback: Nikon vs Canon debate: Answers from a Burning Man wedding | Kern-Photo

21. TheoGretzinger — June 5, 2011 @ 6:40 pm (#)

Daily Magazines
    I am full of admiration and positive feelings. Very nice, clean and pleasant. All the best for the author.

22. scott Steward — June 24, 2011 @ 8:23 pm (#)

Here I am crying at a wedding I didn’t attend, of two people I don’t know. The wedding was so beautiful, and you captured it so beautifully. The wedding kiss photo is exquisite, right down to the bike framed in the window. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

23. Courtney Driver — August 11, 2012 @ 12:40 am (#)

WOW.. great shots.. I was there and in some of the shots.. soooooo amazing.. one of the best memories at BRC for sure..xoxoxo

24. Pingback: Burning Man 2012 Photo Tips: See You in BRC | Kern-Photo

25. Pingback: Burning Man 2012 {My personal experiences} | Kern-Photo

26. Pingback: Good Thoughts {Despite Bad Wedding Weather} » Kern-Photo - Kern-Photo

27. Pingback: 10 Amazing And Unique Wedding Venues | crazyforus

28. Pingback: 10 amazing and unique wedding venues that you haven't thought of | Wedding Party

29. Pingback: 'First Kiss' by Soko {Burning Man Redux} » Kern-Photo - Kern-Photo

30. Pingback: Caravansary {See You at Burning Man 2014} » Kern-Photo - Kern-Photo