one light makes all the difference

What a difference a one cheap flash makes.wpid-RJK_4997-2011-02-24-00-071.jpgwpid-single_flash_portrait_sesion-2011-02-24-00-071.jpgwpid-Hawaii_Five_o_inspired_shoot_san_francisco_engagement_session_15-2011-02-24-00-071.jpg Nikon D-700 at 24mm, shot at 1/250 sec (two stops under ambient), f/8, ISO 200, Auto WB. This was shot straight out of camera. Things to keep in mind:

1. One focused light makes all the difference with a $90 flash. Make a home-made snoot to control the light spill with foam paper & gaffer tape.
  2. When shooting solo, no need for lightstand. Or assistant. Trigger the camera solo and YOU hold the flash. It’s possible. Just use the Force. Or ask me.
  3. Under-expose ambient by about two stops and see the drama. Again, know how to use your camera at the manual settings, meter the ambient light, then be the alpha dog and control the rest.

Questions? Please comment and I’ll answer. Don’t forget Strobist 101.

12 Responses to “one light makes all the difference”

1. Sarah Heinle — February 24, 2011 @ 8:50 am (#)

Thanks for sharing. I always love the lighting you use and learn lots from you. I’ll need to try this out. My husband bought me the D700 as a surprise and I get it tomorrow (he couldn’t wait to tell me). I’m supper excited. I might need a mini-workshop with you. have a great weekend.

Beautiful shot!!

2. Jensen — February 24, 2011 @ 10:13 am (#)

Great post! And great picture too!

3. Rebecca Jeanne — February 24, 2011 @ 10:56 pm (#)

That looks great, thanks for the diagram!

4. Jen — February 25, 2011 @ 7:35 pm (#)

Great shots and thanks for the diagram! That is really helpful. Are you using a tripod as well?

5. R. J. — February 26, 2011 @ 7:38 am (#)

Jen, yes I used a tripod, prefocused manually. I attach a pocket wizard caddy to one of the legs with the trigger cable to the camera that works well.

6. diane — February 26, 2011 @ 4:50 pm (#)

Did you photoshop yourself out of the photo

7. Pingback: ISPWP winning image by R. J. Kern, fear conquered | Kern-Photo

8. R. J. — February 28, 2011 @ 9:11 am (#)

No photoshopping me out of the photo, I just used stepped out of the frame.

9. Tom Pehrson — March 1, 2011 @ 4:31 pm (#)

Thanks for sharing this info. It’s a beautiful image!

10. Pingback: My pictures would be better only if I… | Kern-Photo

11. Pingback: The Hit List: 33 Photo Tips & Tutorials from 2011 | Kern-Photo

12. Pingback: Lighten Your Load {4 Tips on Reducing Gear on Shoots} | Kern-Photo