There’s always next year

The call came in moments ago.

“We have not received your prints,” stated a nice representative from the 2011 Awards of Excellence 16 x 20 print competition. I almost cried.

I knew I shipped the prints to arrive in plenty of time before they were judged at Wedding & Portrait Photographers International Convention (WPPI) held next week in Las Vegas. I was super stoked to check this goal (#90) off my list of 101 goals in 1,001 days.

David Beckstead and Jerry Ghionis offered a positive review in a recent critique. Since I admire their work and accomplishments, I followed my gut and entered the images in my first contest, hoping to walk away with a good experience.

After typing frantically my UPS tracking number into the system, with the representative on the phone, I see this:

wpid-ups_fail-2011-02-15-19-58.jpg
Turns out my local UPS shipping station is closed for the night. Even if the package was found today, the circus left town. In the face of adversity, I ask myself:

Was it my fault for someone not following up on delivery? Perhaps.
Was it WPPI’s fault for not informing me sooner that the prints had not arrived, despite a prepaid registration? Perhaps.
Was it UPS’s fault for delayed shipping? Yes.

At this point, I can look at the situation in one of two ways:

1) “WTF????!!! I just spent $50 in prints, $110 in entrance fees, $100 in a special secure shipping case, $25 in UPS shipping… then find out 45 days later and past the point of no return that my package never arrived. I will hunt you down!

2) “There’s always next year.”

8 Responses to “There’s always next year”

1. Kerinsa — February 15, 2011 @ 9:03 pm (#)

Wow. That’s terrible! Hopefully positive words from David Beckstead and Jerry Ghionis are at least a silver lining. PS – Let’s get together soon! I’m sure you’re missing your book. 🙂

2. mary beth graff — February 15, 2011 @ 9:21 pm (#)

amazing attitude. thoughtful post.
    there is a lot to learn from this for all of us.

3. Chung Nguyen — February 15, 2011 @ 11:56 pm (#)

There is absolutely always next year, sir.

4. Marnie Kern — February 16, 2011 @ 8:48 am (#)

Next year buddy, thank goodness you could adjust your attitude and let logic help out to focus on next year. It can be a great learning experience for all groups to learn.

5. Brooke — February 16, 2011 @ 11:24 am (#)

Ohhh that sucks. You know you’re SUPPOSED to react with the positive attitude of there’s always next year, but that little part inside all of us just wants to be pissed off and throw a fit. 🙂

6. Robert Pell — February 17, 2011 @ 6:39 am (#)

Hey RJ, Former GIS student of yours from Lummi enjoying your site. … I appreciate your post with regard to UPS, how frustrating, sorry that happened. That’s the very reason I’m a fed-ex man myself, similar experiences.

On another note, I was wondering does your web site run on a blogspot platform? Gearing up to start a side business (organic soaps) for my daughter and looking to start a simple site , one pager to advertise and place orders. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks, – I enjoy your thoughtful posts