HDR Wedding Photos in Greece

Like Momma said to us boys, ‘Can’t polish a sneaker’ when choosing a girlfriend.

I say, ‘Can’t polish a turd’ when editing a photograph.

Yet with a good image, you can make it great using the right creative recipes. Like adding salt to a dish, there is a fine line between making art and ruining something perfectly good. Same goes with post-processing in wedding photography… a little goes a long way. 50% of the art of wedding photography lies in post-processing which is really no different than traditional darkroom techniques. When in doubt, I think to myself: What kind of image do I still want to look at in 50 years?

Not many wedding destination wedding photographers embrace the HDR approach, so I gave it the old college try during Amy & Sean’s wedding at the Astra Suites in Imerovigli Santorini, Greece. My buddy Trey Ratcliff over at Stuck In Customs creates some amazing high dynamic range (HDR) landscapes images. I recommend his HDR tutorial if you are interested learning more. While I’m no fan of the overly ‘fake’ looking HDR images which tend to give the technique a bad rap, I strived to create a “classy” effect that pushes the creative envelope.

Did I succeed?wpid-RJ1_3606-2011-08-10-12-30.jpg
wpid-santorini_greece_hdr_wedding_photos_1-2011-08-10-12-302.jpg
wpid-santorini_greece_hdr_wedding_photos_2-2011-08-10-12-302.jpgwpid-santorini_greece_hdr_wedding_photos_3-2011-08-10-12-302.jpgwpid-santorini_greece_hdr_wedding_photos_4-2011-08-10-12-302.jpg
Stay tuned for the day-of-wedding post, details, real moments, and portraits on an epic Mediterranean cruise!
__________
You also might like :
Amy & Sean’s First Look in Santorini, Greece
Happiness in Imerovigli Santorini Greece in Astra, a Suite Paradise
Postcard from Greece
Amy & Sean’s Engagement Session in NYC
Sean & Amy’s Completed Engagement Album

12 Responses to “HDR Wedding Photos in Greece”

1. Patricia Collado — August 10, 2011 @ 2:09 pm (#)

Wow Gorgeous! I love your work.

2. rachel d — August 10, 2011 @ 2:35 pm (#)

these are HDR?? definitely classy, would not have guessed (does that mean I have a bad eye?? oy)… I’ve seen one too many of pics that look like a comic book strip. These images are nowhere near that, in any way! Beautiful as always, rj.

3. Jason Lancaster — August 10, 2011 @ 3:04 pm (#)

I was really impressed by the HDR concept when I first read about it, especially because it seemed like a tool that could be used to capture what might be an otherwise impossible image.

Is it easy to show us a before and after on one of these? Might be cool for those of us who don’t understand the effect.

Of course, the photos look great (as always).

4. Tracy — August 11, 2011 @ 6:29 am (#)

These are classic and timeless! I have no idea what HDR is but I really like it! Also, doesn’t hurt that Amy is a gorgeous bride 🙂 Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pictures!

5. Georgia — August 12, 2011 @ 8:53 am (#)

perfect job,lovely couple best place…blue and white!!!!you are a artist.
    nice to meet you.

6. Helena Han — August 19, 2011 @ 2:19 am (#)

RJ, you’re a great “chef”… these are “seasoned” perfectly!

Staying tuned for more awesome pics…

7. Brooke Summer Photography — August 22, 2011 @ 11:59 am (#)

Wow I’ve never really played with HDR but have always been curious. These images are gorgeous!

8. Pingback: Amy & Sean – Wedding in Greece | Kern-Photo

9. Pingback: My pictures would be better only if I… | Kern-Photo

10. Pradeep — November 5, 2011 @ 9:00 am (#)

One word – beautiful!

11. Alik Griffin — March 20, 2013 @ 8:52 pm (#)

Lovely work. I love the light painting. Never seen that done with wedding photos before.

12. Amanda — November 19, 2017 @ 4:36 pm (#)

Beautiful photography! What was the venue for their wedding if you don’t mind?

Thanks,