Mom and me.

My Mom is the best skier I know. She’s not fast, nor one of those super aggressive, but her form is immaculate. She’s a diamond. I literally can pick her out from all the skiers on the hill. She’s also the most positive person I know, gives me great strength, and I thank her from the bottom of my heart.

Proof: While driving to the airport, the icy Denver roads said, “Your trip to the airport is gonna suck.”

She said, “Wow, the snow is much prettier than the ice on the roads.”

Mom, I love you!

In one of my favorite snow places in the world, Winter Park, CO, we played for three days. Here are a few images from last weekend:
wpid-winter_park_resort_1-2011-02-1-10-13.jpg

Winter Park isn’t necessarily a destination ski resort with tons of tourists. It’s a local resort, with a great vibe, great snow, and nice people.wpid-winter_park_resort_2-2011-02-1-10-13.jpg If you are looking for good food and drinks in Winter Park, I highly recommend the Cheeky Monk. I’ve been going to there for years and love to indulge by sharing a double beer battered fish & chips and the beignets. Of course a glass of the Tripel Karmeliet helps wash everything down all nomnomnom. wpid-RJK_6934-2011-02-1-10-13.jpgwpid-winter_park_resort_3-2011-02-1-10-13.jpgwpid-winter_park_resort_4-2011-02-1-10-13.jpgwpid-winter_park_resort_5-2011-02-1-10-13.jpg I shot all these images with my Nikon D700 and a Nikon 24mm f/1.4 lens with no tripod. The Nikon 24 1.4mm can serve not only as my trusty desert island lens, but a winter park lens due to it’s compact size and fast 1.4 aperture. Plus, the super short focal length allows you to handhold to about 1/10 seconds without the need for VR. Now that’s awesome!

8 Responses to “Mom and me.”

1. Stacy — February 1, 2011 @ 1:30 pm (#)

WOW those are BEAUTIFUL pics!!! As much as i hate looking at the snow ( personally sick of it ) i just sat here lookin at the pics in awe. Your talent amazes me each day. You are AWESOME! And your mom is very pretty!!

2. Marnie Kern — February 1, 2011 @ 2:26 pm (#)

Awe, that is so nice of you to say that. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. The pictures from the weekend are beautiful. The resort has a magical feeling when the sun sets.

3. Marnie Kern — February 1, 2011 @ 2:41 pm (#)

And, you are the best photographer in the entire world. I love you, and thank you for all the fun over the weekend. It was epic for me. The bump runs were awesome, and my favorite run was the 3,060 verticle run from the top of Mary Jane to the corona way to the base of winter park. Whew! From the black to the blue to the green. Yeehawww!

4. Rob Kern — February 1, 2011 @ 6:37 pm (#)

Great commemtary and pictures! Look like post-cards! Nice job! Love, Dad

5. Jodi Grim — February 1, 2011 @ 10:31 pm (#)

What wonderful snow and beautiful smiles!!! All that sparkles! Love & light reverberate…YAY! Enjoy being swept away by your tales and aspire to have such crisp, vibrant, heartfelt pics as you do Rj! Hop, skip & a jump, Winter Park here I come!! Thanks for sharing Maestro! 🙂

6. Sarah Heinle — February 3, 2011 @ 1:52 pm (#)

Great pics as always. Always inspiring!! I will definitely have to check out the 24mm 1.4. One day I hope to get over to Winter Park to enjoy some time with my family.

7. Karina & Brian — February 9, 2011 @ 11:37 am (#)

WOW! Great pictures!! We miss Colorado! We are glad you and your mom had a wonderful time!!

8. Pingback: Year in Review – 2011 | Kern-Photo