‘The best day of the year’

“It’s the best day of the year,” Krista whispered this morning.

I laughed. It’s Black Friday. And that’s not the reason she’s excited. Sure, getting up early, grabbing a Starbucks, and people watching on the busy shopping day of the year is a favorite pastime she loves to share with her Mom. It’s a bonding thing with Mom and Daughter, basking in the glee of Thanksgiving and Willy’s birthday.

The real reasons for the excitement, me thinks?

1. It’s our first Thanksgiving as a newly-minted couple. And we still haven’t had our first argument, although we came close when hanging up the lights on my wedding present, an American Yellowwood which stands in our front yard. I went Chevy Chase on that thing this year. 400 lights, at least.
  2. It’s the day after we hosted our first Thanksgiving together in our home with both sets of parents and extended family. And it was perfect.
  3. We had our first snow of the season last night. And it was romantic.
  4. My brother and I stayed up until 1 a.m. watching Avengers in 3-D while drinking port.
  5. It’s Krista’s birthday.

wpid-thanksgiving-2012-11-15-22-321.jpg
After running off our Thanksgiving dinner around Lake Harriet, my bro had the idea for this portrait of moi, giddy:
wpid-seans-idea-2012-11-15-22-321.jpg
Let the holiday season begin! And if you are shopping for your favorite photographer, check out these 18 awesome gift ideas I recommend.

7 Responses to “‘The best day of the year’”

1. Alyssa — November 23, 2012 @ 12:52 pm (#)

Oh man! That picture is fantastic! RJ in all his glee and giddiness!

2. Trish Wheaton — November 23, 2012 @ 4:40 pm (#)

I’m not a Black Friday fan . . . but this posting almost makes me one. Going to Bed, Bath and Beyond near Columbus Circle to look for an artificial Xmas tree (co-op rules) bummed me out. . . I can smell the pine of the north!

3. Sunny Chen — November 23, 2012 @ 9:33 pm (#)

What a beautiful family. Happy birthday Krista!

4. Jennifer — November 23, 2012 @ 9:57 pm (#)

Simply AWESOME! Congrats on many levels… and some happy birthday’s too! Now I feel giddy! Thank you! :)

5. Becky Gawin — November 27, 2012 @ 10:13 pm (#)

Along the stocking stuffer line: PhotoMoon, cost about $3. Shows you the moon calendar, when the moon rise will be, the azimuth and elevation of the moon at different times of the night. Very cool. Then, download a free compass app and voila! You know where the moon will rise and at what time, so you can plan your spot! Geek speak, eh?

6. R. J. Kern — November 28, 2012 @ 10:59 am (#)

Great tips, Becky!!!

7. M-I-L — November 28, 2012 @ 1:18 pm (#)

Soooooo happy to have been a part of Krista’s best day of the year!