my puddle jumper

While critics revere Henri Cartier Bresson’s “Man Juming Over Puddle” as the “decisive moment” captured,  I feel he missed the shot. I was reminded of this first hand viewing the print this week at A Gallery in New Orleans. I’d rather see the excitement of a splash frozen in time. My image, inspired by mentor John Michael Cooper, was to turn the puddle jumping movement upside down and focus on the actual splash. Nearing the end of a bridal shoot in the wet streets of New Orleans, I asked for a bride’s trust to jump into the puddle. Without haste, she agreed. The neon lights of Bourbon Street filtering through the puddle inspired my bridal detail in action. Shot with a Nikon D700 with my favorite 85mm lens wide open at f/1.4 for 1/750 sec, ISO 400.wpid-bourbon_street_bride-2010-11-14-12-41.jpg

7 Responses to “my puddle jumper”

1. Just Max — November 14, 2010 @ 7:13 pm (#)

Aren’t you full of yourself, we’ll see whose picture is remembered in 50 years, I I know what I will be putting my money on.

2. R. J. — November 14, 2010 @ 8:25 pm (#)

Max, great to hear from you! Would have enjoyed seeing you and Julia last week. You are totally right, his image will be remembered far longer than mine. However, that’s the coolest thing about the subjectivity in art is we all have our own opinions and can agree to disagree.

3. Jessica Conroy — November 14, 2010 @ 11:21 pm (#)

Wow! This is an amazing shot! Keep up the good work! 🙂

4. otto schulze — November 15, 2010 @ 10:56 pm (#)

he missed the shot? dude, you should go look at that image again. there’s so many levels to that image it’s ridiculous! yours is also a really nice frame though!

5. R. J. — November 16, 2010 @ 3:45 pm (#)

Otto, yes, his image is a great one. In no way have I said otherwise. I’m just saying the moment for me is the splash instead of the moment before the splash. Call me a kid, but visually it is far more interesting, which is what I challenged myself to creating in this image. That’s all. I’ve been studying more of the masters as of late and picking one or two elements which I might have done differently (because of my own artistic style), then pursing those in my own work. It is a great exercise in finding what you like is by studying the great works.

6. Vicky Rodrigues — March 19, 2011 @ 2:18 pm (#)

Wondefuull!!!